An alternate method that might make your Bluetooth device connect with your iOS device.
Canâ€™t get your Apple Bluetooth keyboard to pair with your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? I couldnâ€™t either. My A1255 keyboard wouldnâ€™t connect at all. The iPhone would find the keyboard, but wouldnâ€™t update the name of it, nor ever present the four digit code for pairing. I could only get this error:
I tried a bunch of fixes I read about online and none of these worked in any combination nor configuration:
- turning Bluetooth off and on
- rebooting the iPhone
- holding the power button on the keyboard
- deleting other Bluetooth device pairing from the iPhone
- clicking ‘Forget This Device’
- connecting to another device and then my iPhone
- replacing the batteries
- holding the V, A, and R keys while powering on the keyboard
- turning off Bluetooth on any other nearby devices
It seems Bluetooth under iOS 7 is broken. Lots of people are having issues with Bluetooth on iOS 7 that werenâ€™t there in older iOS versions. Unfortunately, Apple is apparently ignoring this problem.
Hereâ€™s how I finally connected my keyboard to my iPhone.
- Switch off Bluetooth on iOS device under Settings > Bluetooth.
- Shut off the keyboard by pressing and holding the power button for 3 seconds.
- Switch on Bluetooth on iOS device.
- Turn on the keyboard by pressing and holding the power button until it green light blinks.
- The keyboard should appear listed under the DEVICES heading in the iPhone Bluetooth settings screen with â€œNot Pairedâ€ in gray next to it.
- Now at this point youâ€™re supposed to just tap on the listed device on the iPhone to begin the pairing process, but when I would do that it would time out with the â€œPairing Unsuccessfulâ€ alert. Hereâ€™s the trick: repeatedly tap on the listing (maybe 5-6 times) and hopefully the â€œBluetooth Pairing Requestâ€ alert will appear with the four digit code youâ€™ll need to enter.
- The pairing may fail the first time. Try again.
- I also found that subsequent attempts to connect after forgetting the device worked much better after that initial connection.
I hope this fix works for you. Let me know if it does.10 Comments >