The following audio products are ones that I personally recommend. I use them live and/or in the studio.
Mixers, Interfaces, & Controllers
- Presonus RM32AI 32-Channel StudioLive Mixer
- 32 in/16 out in a 4U rack space. Controllable via the CS18AI, touchscreen computer, and iOS devices. Probably the sexiest digital interface I/O box out there right now.
- Presonus Studio Live CS18AI Control Surface for the StudioLive RM16AI and RM32AI Digital Mixers and Studio One DAW
- All that PreSonus juiciness you’ve come to love + moving faders. This control surface pairs with the RM32AI over ethernet cable, firewire, and wifi.
- Behringer XR18
- Tiny, but powerful. This little unit packs tons of function into a small footprint. 18 in, 8 out. Wirelessly controlled by a tablet app. For the price it can’t be beat.
- Presonus Sceptre S8 CoActual 2-Way Studio Monitor
- I move my head around and the sound is the same. Coaxial speakers = no more audio lies if my head isn’t perfectly in the “sweet spot.” These speakers are beasts. They make smaller ones (S6), but really…go big or go home.
- PreSonus Temblor T10 Powered Studio Subwoofer
- Have you thought about your bottom? This sub pairs nicely with the Sceptre S8 monitors.
- Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones
- Affordable and powerful headphones that fit around the ear. Great for tracking.
- Radial Engineering MC3 Studio Monitor Controller
- If you’re doing serious music, you need to do things like listen on another pair of speakers, mute the sub, dim the overall volume, and listen through headphones. This little box helps you do all of that with the simple press of a button. Radial Engineering never compromise on quality.
- Cascade Microphones FAT HEAD II Blumlein-L, Stereo Pair, Black/Silver
- Do you have a ribbon microphone? You should get a ribbon microphone. The Fat Head is a time-tested classic. Go for the Lundahl transformer upgrade to get a better frequency response. Go for the stereo set so you can do things like a Blumlein pair or putting one on both guitarists in the band. Also check out the Cloudlifter below.
- Shure SM7B Vocal Dynamic Microphone, Cardioid
- Get a classic. Why is it a classic? Because it’s super versatile and Just Works™. Tons of people from Michael Jackson to The Civil Wars have used this to make hit records. Put on your gold record-making pants and get this mic.
- Radial JDX 48 – Active Guitar Amp Direct Box
- This is how you get electric guitar and ONLY electric guitar
- Radial Engineering JDI Single-Channel Passive Direct Box with Jensen Transformer
- Radial Engineering make the best DIs. This one features the classic Jensen transformer.
- Radial JDI Duplex mk4 Stereo Direct Box
- Get that great DI in a stereo package. While it’s true these no longer sport the Jensen transformers, they now contain Eclipse transformers which meet or beat the specs of the former component.
- Cloud Microphones Cloudlifter CL-1
- Ribbon microphones really benefit from lots of clean gain. This box does just that. It can also work on other microphones. Experiment.
- Ebtech Swizz-CT Swizz Army 6-in-1 Cable Tester
- Do your cables work? Are you sure? Eliminate variables by testing your cables. Find out exactly what’s wrong with the broken ones and then fix them. Soldering iron not included.
- Bosch GLM 50 Laser Distance Measurer with 165-Feet Range and Backlit Display
- Know thy venue. Seriously, there are times you have to measure things for super important audio reasons. Get a magic laser and be done with it.
- Kyser KG6B 6 String Capo, Black
- Capos come in all flavors. People swear by the ones they like. They’re crazy. These Kysers are the only ones that work fast and stay out of the way. They come in different colors, but why would you need anything other than black?
- TC Electronic Polytune 2 Mini Pedal Tuner
- Little, accurate, and polyphonic. Tune all of your guitar strings at once. You gotta have a tuner/mute switch pedal. Buy the right one.
- TC Electronic Polytune Noir Mini 2 Pedal Tuner
- Same as above, but in classy black. French it up, Dirt.
- PYLE PLPTS55 DJ Gear Stand
- Your laptop is at the gig ’cause it’s the 21st century. Put your laptop on something. This it that thing. Folds up nice. Locks in place—unlike most other laptop stands, surprisingly. Who designs that crap?
- Primacoustic RX7 – HF Standard Recoil Stabilizer
- Until your studio monitors are isolated from your desk, what you’re hearing is a lie. These stabilizers are like truth-tellers, sooth-sayers, and bearers of infinite wisdom (within the audible frequency spectrum).
- ATS Acoustic Bass Trap 24x48x13 Inches in ShellMicrosuede
- Suck up the low end in your room. Put it in the corner. Done.
- ATS Acoustic Panel 24x48x2 Inches in Ivory
- Suck up the mid to high end in your room. Put them everywhere.
- If you like the TC Electronic PolyTune pedal, then you’ll really like the iOS app. It has all the same features for a fraction of the price and because it’s an app, it goes with you everywhere.
- Chords, charts, and lyrics are the heart, soul, and mind of musicians. Get yourself organized, tabletized, and lyricised.
- Audio professionals need professional audio tools wherever they go. This is not a cheap app and the in-app purchases aren’t your typical iOS in-app prices, but they are incredible. If you’re truly a professional, I think you’ll find the price worth it.
- Spectrum Analyzer
- This is another frequency spectrum analyzer app that works well and is much more affordable than the AudioTools app. It’s become my go-to RTA because it loads fast and is very clean in appearance.
Boxes, Adapters, & Audio Tools
Stands & Cases
DISCLAIMER: I hold no endorsement with any of the companies listed above. The products listed are simply ones that I have found to work for me. By following the links provided I receive a very small referral fee from the retailers affiliate programs. No other endorsement, association, or tie to these companies and their products is stated or implied.